Some time ago I published this post to tell you that we had decided to launch ourselves into going family camping. In the post, I also told you that I was going to leave you the list of things that we thought we had to take camping to be as comfortable as possible. The truth is that the first time we were a little lost. But I have to admit that it was a great experience for everyone. The little ones who at first were a bit reluctant to sleep outside of a house, ended up delighted. And so do we, since, in addition to being fun, it is much cheaper. Total, after that first experience, we have repeated a few more times.
In fact, you cannot imagine the desire we already have to go camping again. Let’s see if this year we can make a little getaway, even if it’s close to home. The last trips we have made camping, with the tent, have been to France, and the truth is that we have enjoyed it a lot. Both times we stayed at campsites near Disneyland Paris and the experience was fantastic.
Our camping experience with children
Of course, as our long vacations are in August, we always make the reservation of the family camping in which we will plant our base camp, long before. This way you can save a lot. Another thing that we also always do is review travel insurance and hire one. For us, having good travel insurance is essential when traveling with children.
We always have seen some little things about our destiny. Although the truth is that when we spend more than a week camping with the children, we go on an adventure a bit. We tend to improvise quite a bit on the fly.
Oh, and another thing that I usually check are the cards that gas stations have to accumulate points. In this way, we can also save a little more on road trips.
Since what I like in August is to run away from the heat and see a lot of green, we usually go north.
One summer we were visiting Asturias, the area of the Redes Natural Park. We went to see Bárbara, with whom we did a lot of cool activities proposed by her agritourism and family adventure company, El Trasgu La Fronda. Among them, for example, we went hiking along the beautiful Alba route. Then we crossed the border and enjoyed a bit of France as a family.
Another year we decided to do it the other way around. First we went on vacation with the children to France, where we returned to enjoy the magic of Disneyland Paris. And we spent the last week of the holidays discovering Cantabria. Specifically, we were discovering the area of the Valderredible Valley as a family, which is a real cool.
As we have been going family camping, I have been organizing and selecting better the different things that I had to take to the camping. He was writing down in a list everything that he considered necessary for family camping. And the weeks before the trip, as I was preparing everything little by little. So there is not so much stress.
By the way, one thing that makes what we have to take a little change is the time when we are going to go camping and the area. Especially because of the cold. We have not gone camping in winter yet. But in summer, both in Paris and in Andorra it was cold at night … Just to tell you that we went with fleeces, feathers and we carried Nordics to cover ourselves. To give you an idea.
With that that I went camping with children at the beginning I took a lot of “porsis”. There are things that I wore the first year, that I have not worn again afterwards. Others that we realized that we were missing and we wrote them down on the list for the next time not to forget them. Even things that we have been buying and incorporating in the following trips that have helped us a little more comfortable since we usually spend many days camping in a tent. In fact, we have spent more than fifteen days in the same campsite.
That is why I have been editing the list of things to take camping to include the changes we have made. And I have even made a downloadable that I can print and thus control that I carry everything. What do you think.
By the way, camper friends, I’m still open to all kinds of advice and recommendations, so… Don’t be shy!
Detailed list of what to take camping with children
* For sleeping:
- Large plastic for under the tent (to isolate moisture in case of rain)
- Inflatable mattresses
- Waterproof protectors (in case of night leaks)
- Fitted sheets or mattress toppers
- Sheets and blanket (or duvet) / sleeping bags
- Pillows with their covers
- Inflator for mattresses
* Tools for assembly or various things:
- Rubber hammer to drive the pegs
- Small kit of those with screwdrivers, keys, pliers …
- Small shovel
- Flashlights and / or camping-gas
- Spare batteries
- Mosquito repellent
- MP3 loaded with music
- Games, toys, paintings and books
- Mobile phones and chargers
- Car if there are very young children (with César we still use it)
- Ergonomic backpack for very young children. I had the Boba 4G Baby Carrier and it was going great.
- A backpack for each one. The best thing is that each little one takes their explorer backpack that they already have prepared and it is used for everything.
- Photo camera
- Notebook and pens
- Road map and/or GPS
- My travel notebook
- Spanish and European health cards
- DNI of the whole family and medical card of the children
- Cash and credit card
- Reusable bags
- Floor blanket (mine is from Joykids)
- Puncture repair kit (patches, small sandpaper …)
* To cook and eat:
- Folding table and chairs
- Stove and / or portable kitchen
- Gas (in case the kitchen is not electric)
- Cigarette lighter
- Glasses, plates, cutlery
- Large strainer
- Tuppers (serve as bowls as well as to store food)
- Utility knife
- Kitchen scissors
- 1 saucepan, 1 pot and 2 pans
- Stock extractor, fryer and kitchen tongs
- Rubber or stain-resistant tablecloth
- Coffee maker (without my coffee I am nobody. Hehehehe)
- A mini fridge (in case you are going to be like us for many days. As in the van it fits …)
- A table / furniture to put the kitchen (cooking a month on the floor is quite uncomfortable, in addition to the risk of children getting burned. So we preferred to take a separate piece of furniture this year)
* To clean:
- Kitchen rags
- Kitchen roll
- Garbage bags
- Clothesline and / or clothesline
- Clothe pins
- Hand brush and dustpan
- Bucket or basket to carry the dishes and / or dirty clothes
* For the toilet:
- Toilet paper
- Brush and comb
- Hair ties and clips
- After sun
- Shaving and foam blades / electric epilator
- Baby wipes
- Pads / panty liners / tampons
(Depending on the days, I put in more or less, although without going over it. It is not worth loading too much. Better to put a washing machine in the campsite):
- Shorts and long pants
- Tank tops, short sleeves and / or long sleeves
- Sweatshirts and / or jacket
- Flip-flops for showers and the pool
- Sandals for walking
- Sneakers or hiking boots
- Folding raincoats and umbrellas
- Caps and sunglasses
* The first-aid kit:
- This point worries me less. I will take the same thing that I prepare whenever we go out. You can see what I am preparing in this post about the travel kit.
Mmmmmm… what else? Oh yeah. Food. Hehehehehe At least I’ll take things for the first few days. Then we will go buying what we need in the supermarket. This list is even more personal as each family organizes their breakfasts, lunches and dinners differently. I think about it like this:
- What I need to cook: salt, oil, fried tomato, spices …
- For breakfasts: colacao, milk, coffee, sugar, cookies, pastries, toasted rolls …
- For snacking: various chips, fuets, crackers, olives, cans …
- Lunches and / or dinners: bricks bricks, noodles, macaroni, tuna, sliced bread… When they were babies, I also took some baby food and liquid bricks, just in case.
- Drinks: Mainly water, some can, juice or smoothie …
- Fresh products, especially in summer, we buy almost daily or for a couple of days: fruit, companaje, meat, vegetables for salads …
- Normally I am looking for products that I can cook and that do not require cold, although this year by bringing a cooler we will have some more options. And a cool drink!
I think that’s more or less it. What do you think? Did I forget something? I am sure that despite everything, I will forget something. But that doesn’t worry me so much anymore. Having the review of the car done, the reservation of our camping confirmed, controlled the issue of travel insurance, the mobile with data rate, without roaming (in case you did not know, now you can call with your usual rate for all Europe) and emergency chargers in case of emergencies … what may be missing we can always look for it along the way, right? Now we just have to enjoy the trip.